Thursday, February 18, 2010

Thoughts on the DITL assignment

I just completed one of the assignments of my class, a day-in-the-life story. My subject was about two of the guys in charge of the Student Senate, Justin Puckett and Alex Bradford.

The only difficult parts of the day-in-the-life story involved scheduling conflicts. The first was when Puckett, my original subject, changed his office hours on me. The day I was to shadow him, I had an exam I couldn’t blow off, so I had to reschedule.

The second was when Puckett called me back to tell me he had a meeting to attend and that he would have to cut it short. However, he agreed to let me shadow another office member, Bradford.

Aside from those issues, the whole assignment was a cakewalk for me. I spent a half-hour chatting with Puckett on a range of issues regarding school, jobs, our personal lives and an upcoming project about a UC convenience store. Afterward, I attended an APC meeting Bradford was at that, while boring, was fairly informative about the minute details of how the campus works. Assignments like this remind me why I enjoy journalism – the interaction with official representatives and the way the university works.

No comments:

Post a Comment